The Catholic University of America

Frequently Asked Questions

How should I address mail for a student?

 All mail to residential students should be addressed as follows:


Student's full name (no nickname)
McMahon Hall PO. #
The Catholic University of America
620 Michigan Ave. NE
Washington, DC 20064

Please note all mail not properly addressed will be returned to sender.

What is the best method to send money to a student?

Checks and Postal Money Orders are safe, convenient and economical alternatives to sending cash through the mail. Money orders can be purchased and cashed at any Post Office as well as from any rural route carrier. Postal money orders are available for any amount up to $1000 and restricted to a daily purchase limit of $10,000 per customer. Money orders are replaced if damaged, lost or stolen. If you must send cash, have the sender use Registered Mail.

What do I do if my mailbox doesn't work?

First, login to Cardinal Station and navigate to MyHousing for the correct mailbox number and combination. If you have the correct mailbox number and combination, but are still unable to open your mailbox, please visit us at McMahon Hall Room 5 or report this issue to Mail Services immediately so that we may further assist you.

How long does it take for mail arriving on campus to be delivered into my mail box?

Mail Service delivers all correctly addressed mail received from the USPS the same business day it is received.

My package has not arrived. Who should I contact?

Since all packages end up at the package room, you should contact the package room. If you have a specific concern about a package sent by the USPS with a tracking number, please contact Mail Services at extension 5021. Mail Services will be able to track the package for you, or you can track at!input.action .

If your letter has not arrived or you suspect mail tampering you may contact the US Postal Inspector at 1-877-876-2455 opt. #3

My parents sent me a letter a week ago and I have still not received it. What should I do?

If this letter was not sent as *accountable mail (*Registered, Delivery Confirmation, Signature Confirmation, etc.) contact the manager of Postal Services at extension 6684. If the matter is not resolved the sender should file a complaint with the US Postal Inspector. If your letter has not arrived or you suspect mail tampering you may contact the US Postal Postal at 1-877-876-2455 opt. #3.

What do I do with mail I receive in error?

Please take misdirected pieces of mail to either service window in McMahon Hall and indicate to the clerk why you are returning the piece of mail. It will then be forwarded to the proper address. Please do not open letters or any piece of mail that is not addressed to you.

How can I receive package notifications when I'm away from my computer?

If you want to be notified when you have a package at the mailroom when you are away from your computer but you do not have a smartphone, you can still receive text notifications on your phone. Look at these links to find out how:

Where can you go to purchase stamps and USPS services?

The University Contract Postal Unit located in McMahon Hall is able to take care of most of the services that the USPS supplies. (Open from 9am to 4pm Mon-Fri)
The closest USPS location to campus is Brookland Station 3401 12th Street NE, Washington DC 20017.

What methods of payment  are accepted?

We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express.

How do I address mail for FedEx, UPS and Couriers?

Federal Express, UPS and mail delivered by local couriers should always be given a specific address on campus, including building, room number, and department. Private carriers are required to deliver parcels directly to a business address, not to Postal Services in McMahon Hall.

What if I am an individual with Dual Addresses?

For individuals who both live and work on campus, departmental policy is to use a residence address for personal mail and a department address for business mail. All mail addressed to a department will be delivered to the department not a residence as the mail is the property of the department. Reasonable accommodations for special circumstances can be handled by the Postal Services' Management on a case by case basis.